Wintertime in the Pacific Northwest means it’s time to get out and have some fun in the crisp weather! Here are five of our favorite choices to enjoy our Northwest winter wonderland.
- Take a Twilight Snowshoes Tour! Explore the groomed trails and majestic views of the stunning Cascade Crest by moonlight (or headlamp on snowy nights) with White Pass Ski Area guides. Includes snowshoes (feel free to bring your own or we will set you up), headlamps if needed, guided tour and light appetizers in the Nordic Cafe upon your return. The tour is recommended for adults. Youth ages 12 an up will be welcomed as long as they’re able to stay with the group. The tour lasts from 4 pm to 5:15 or 5:30. Meet at the Nordic Center Yurt at 3:30 pm (3:45 if you have your own snowshoes) The rate is $39 and reservations are required to guarantee your spot. You can stop by and join in if space is available. We allow a total of 24 people to attend and always have two guides on hand. Reserve online.
- Fat Bikes! Fat biking is the fastest-growing winter sport of the last five years. White Pass Ski Area has several bikes available for rental at $25 for a 2-hour session, $40 for a half day and $55 for full day. (Trail pass is not included) Please familiarize yourself with the best practices. Reservations are highly recommended! Call 509.672.3101 then press 6 to reach the Nordic Center. NOTE: Bikes are only permitted on days when they will not leave a rut. Call for track conditions. Have your own Fat Bike? Fat Bikes are allowed on the groomed trails in the snowshoe lane and on the snowshoe trails of White Pass Ski Area. Trail pass required. Closed to bikes in soft conditions. Tires should be inflated to less than 6 psi and must be 3.75” or larger. Follow signage and observe trail curtesy.
- Winter Wagon Ride in Wine Country. This time of year the vineyards have a special kind of beauty. This ride takes you through the frosty vineyards to taste the wines of Red Mountain AVA. Red Mountain Trails Wine Tasting Tour lasts four hours with a lunch stop in the vineyards. Lunch, snacks and water are included. Enjoy the wineries of Red Mountain with door-to-door service and a stylish and comfortable ride. $150 per person (does not include tasting fees). Depending on the group, you’ll usually visit four or five wineries. Must be 21 or older.
- Stay in a Snug Cabin! Nestled among the pines of the Cascades you’ll find the rustic and cozy cabins of Elk Ridge Campground on Hwy 410, Chinook Pass, situated next to the Naches River. It’s the perfect spot for those interested in skiing, snowshoeing or snowmobiling on the nearby trails or just wanting to relax by the fire. There are nine cabins to choose from, all heated and equipped with full kitchens and fireplaces. At the end of the day, after taking in the great outdoors, you can relax and work out aches, pains and stress by enjoying a massage from the on-staff masseuse. The Elk Ridge Spa offers a variety of massage types including hot stone, deep tissue and hot towel compress while using only 100% natural products.
- Visit the Ahtanum State Forest. Find your adventure on prime groomed snowmobile trails just a short drive off the freeway! Stay at the brand new Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Union Gap, WA. Take the road in front of the hotel, driving just more than 20 miles to reach the Ahtanum Sno-Park at Ahtanum Meadows, the largest sno-park in the region. Unload your rig to enjoy 67 miles of groomed trails through pristine alpine meadows and awe-inspiring high country!